Fresh Salsa (note if you are going to can salsa this is not the recipe to use, I use a different recipe for that and if you need it send me a message and I’ll send it to you…canning salsa is tricky stuff.)
THIS IS JUST PLAIN GOOD FRESH SALSA!
This is so yummy! There is nothing better than FRESH Homemade salsa! This is better is you leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of days to “get happy.” Stir it around everyday and you can taste if you like, but it’s best after 2 days or more if you can wait.
I make a huge batch of this and can it! That way I have fresh salsa whenever I want. If you need the canning recipe, send a comment and I’ll email it to you. I’ll post it later when I start canning again. Do not attempt to can this recipe, as you must follow strict guidelines and measurements when canning.
- 8 large ripe tomatoes diced*
- 8 ripe roma tomatoes diced*
- fresh cilantro to taste (about a half a bunch) chopped
- fresh Italian parsley (about a half a bunch) chopped
- 1 large sweet (yellow) onion finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and sliced (for hotter salsa, leave the seeds in
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- lime juice to taste (about a tablespoon)
- lemon juice to taste (about a tablespoon)
- tabasco to taste (do this after allowing to sit for 3 hours) I usually add about 10-20 drops depending on the heat in the jalapeño peppers
In large bowl, mix all ingredients except lime juice, lemon juice & tabasco. Add salt, freshly ground black pepper, lime & lemon juice to taste. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours, stirring every hour. Remove from refrigerator. Add Tabasco to taste. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve with Tortilla Chips.
*You can substitute 4 or 5 large cans of diced tomatoes if you prefer or need to save time.